Thursday, September 27, 2012

WotR

WotR Day 13- Here at the end of all things

You'll have to excuse me being a little self-indulgent today, but it is over. From this:
The horror, the horror
to this:
War of the Ring!
in less than two weeks, including several days of prep. I owe a lot to this:
Liquid gold...
Today I painted the base edges in faction colours based on the board, and then I varnished with Micador Mat Spray:
Should be labelled 'Satin'
which is not 'mat', unfortunately (the other option was 'gloss'). I half expected this, but am not too fussed with a slight sheen on these boardgame pieces. They may be slightly less sheeny (is that a word?) than they were after the satin dip, but it's only gone from ~50% to 40% sheeniness. The Testors Dullcote I trialled a week or so ago (it feels longer...) dropped it down to 5%, but I wasn't going to waste a can or more of that good stuff on these boys. They feel plastic-y and durable now.
Then I flocked, and this really brought the figures to life. I used a green blend for the good guys, and wasn't going to flock the baddies, but I did a trial orc (they put up with a lot for me) with some yellow-brown stuff and it looked just right.
And here they are!
Mordor!
Easterlings!
Isengard!
Dwarf!
Elf!
The North!
Gondor!
Rohan!
Ringwraiths!
Mouth of Sauron, Witch King (with extra flocking...), Saruman
The Fellowship of the Ring, and friend
There we are. Two hundred and five figures, and, if I may say so myself, they look wonderful on the board. It has been worthwhile getting them painted.

This blog has been a real aid in getting this done. I'll put my thoughts on my first dip experience up in a later post.

Thank you to all those who have offered advice and encouragement, and I hope I can encourage one or two people who have been thinking about maybe getting this project done as well to do so.

Now, who wants a game?
Board set up to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment