Saturday, September 1, 2012

Rusty Skip

RUSTY SKIP

I've just finished a couple of building site style skips based on this picture:
I was initially going to buy some skips from Fenris games but thought I better give making some a try before spending money that I could be spending on mount leadverest. The ones Fenris are selling are the more 'traditional' looking skips that you would hire if you were doing some heavy DIY, but due to the materials that I have I've gone for a bigger more heavy duty skip.
Here's the finished first Skip:

All it needs to finish it is some kind of stencil logo or company name across the middle and it's done:
I've put together a step by step below if anyone wants to give it a shot themselves:
Here's the tools and materials needed:
Materials
1. The Main body of the skip is a .22 bullet box that I received as packaging  for some ebay mini's, I've no idea how easy these are to come by in the UK but American readers shouldn't have any problems :)
2. Matchsticks, I got a big pack of these from 'The Works' (Discount Art & bookstore)
3. Coffee stirrers, I managed to grab a ton when I was at London zoo that should keep me going for an age
4. Cocktail Sticks, these came from poundland 6 packs for a pound
5. Lastly some old business cards of mine
Tools
Super Glue, Sprue clippers, drill, craft knife, scissors.
Step one:
Cut one of the business cards or similar thin card into equal width strips, I used three strips for each long side, make sure you leave a small gap between each strip

Step Two:
Glue the three strips to each long side and trim off any excess on the ends
Once these were dry I scratched up the surface with the blunt side of a knife to give the surface a more worn look.
 Step 3.
Take your coffee stirrers cut the rounded ends off and then cut the stirrers in half lengthways so you end up with a load of skinny strips.
Next cut your newly slimmed down stirrers into 16 equal length sections (6 for each long side and two for the shirt sides). When you glue these to the sides make sure you leave a small gap at the top of each of the long sides ready for the trim.

Step 4.
Take your match-sticks and glue them to the small gab that you should have left above the coffee stirrers. On the shorter sides add three match sticks (top, Middle and bottom)
Step 5.
For the truck hitch (I think) at the end of the skip again get your coffee stirrers out and cut off two equal length short sections. Drill two small cocktail stick width holes in each section and attach them to your cocktail stick and then to the interior of the skip. Once this is attached to the skip you can trim off the excess  cocktail stick.

 Step 6: Painting

I undecorated the whole thing black, when painting I didn't really worry about the neatness of the undercoat as I think a thick lumpy finish helps with the final battered look of the skip. Once the undercoat was dry I gave it a coat of Snakebite Leather then gave it an uneven wash of Gryphonne Sepia
 Once this was dry I highlighted the skip with Desert Yellow then Sunburst Yellow.
To get the rusty finish I picked out some of the edges and surfaces with bestial Brown, then Blazing Orange and finally Mithril Silver decreasing the amount with each colour.

Here's the finished Skip
 
Let me know what you think and let me know if you think anything needs adding to the guide

I also knocked up some refuse from excess green stuff, I was trying to capture the shiny black bin-bag look but I think I've got a little too heavy on the white, I'll probably revisit them and give them a black wash to knock them back. Inspired by the Brians and Guts blog I decided to create some pallets but got bored and only managed one :)



No comments:

Post a Comment