Thursday, October 3, 2013
Repaints of cars
I found an interesting and inspiring post about some beautiful repaints of different diecast models some weeks ago. Suddenly I remembered some models I had bought from ebay and that were still waiting somewhere in my basement. There scale is 1:43 and I intended to use them with my Dark Future miniatures and terrain. For my Dark Future project I decided to use this slightly bigger scale because I already own some APCs in this scale (diecastmodels from Schuco Milirary Series) and because the supply with modern cars is much better than in 1:56 or 1:64.
The first repainted model is a cabriolet. I decided to finish the model as a wreck.
So I started with some minor conversions. I drilled out the head lamps with a Proxxon, heated the tyres with a lighter, pressed the car on the floor to achieve flat tyres and drilled two bulletholes in the chassis. I also drilled two bulletholes and scribed lots of cracks into the windscreen with a sharp knife.
As a good basis for the weathering I sprayed the model with a flatt varnish (Lukas). Otherwise the following washed wouldn't stick to the lacquer of the diecast model. Sadly this ruins the effect of the cracks in the windscreen. Next time I have to mask the screen before this step. With my PROXXON I milled the scratches to the right side of the model.
The seats were painted with a dark red acrylic color. Next were some washings with a (partially thinned down) darkbroun ink (Devlan Mud from GW). There had no details to be painted seperatly. The rusty area around the scratches had been done with differnt tones of dry pigments and pigmentfixer from MIG. The dusty effekt had been done with an old brush and the use of different shades of dry pigments.
The miniatures in the following pictures are older Future Warriors from Marc Copplestone (now em4) and are shown for scale.
The second repainted model is a picup in 1:43. This model too has only to be weathered as I liked the white color.
No conversions had bee done with this model. I used the same techniques for painting and weathering as described for the cabriolet. The only thing different was the painting of the smal rusty areas. They had been hanbdpainted with darkbrown acrylic color
The next pictures show the picup with two future warriors from Marc Copplestone (now em4).
The third repainted model is a three wheeler in 1:43. I dismantled the model for easyer painting. The following picture shows this stage.
This model has been completly repainted and heavy weathered.
The following little conversions had been done:
I removed the wooden planks from the truck bed
I scribed lots of cracks into the windscreen with a sharp knife
I heated the tyres with a lighter and pressed the car on the floor to achieve flat tyres.
I added two damaged barrels and a piece of chain
After priming the whole piece in a reddish dark brown with a spray can I applied different dry pigments in rust colors and used the Pigmentfixer from MIG to fix them. I also added a coat of flatt varnish (Lukas) to seal the pigments even more.
I coverd the windows, the number plates and a good part of the rearward car body with liquid Latex. Then I applied a layer of hair spray and added salt as long as the surface was still wett. After drying I applied a second layer of paint. Again I used a spraycan - this time a middle grey.
After the drying of the color I removed the latex with the color on top by careful rubbing. Then I used a tough brush and water to remove the salt and parts of the color. The water solve the hairspray and the color on top striped off in very realistic patches.
The details on the car body had been painted with black (windscreen wipers and rims), brown and orange (rusty chain). The interior of the car was painted seperatly in matching colors.
Next was a washing with a darkbrown ink (Devlan Mud from GW).
The rusty patches got some different shades of dark broun, burnt sienna and orange pigments for more variety in color tones. The pigments were applied either wet with pigmentfixer or dry.
The marks from the burning barrels and wheels had been acchieved by the use of black and white dry pigments.
The finished result can be seen in the following pictures
Please click here for a bigger version of the picture above.