Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Barricades, Fencing and Skip

Barricades, Fencing and Skips….Oh my!!!!

As many of you know, a little while ago I made an entry for the ‘Board of the Living Lead’ diorama competition. http://rounddaves.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/dead-by-dawn-diorama.html
And as any of you who follow the board know, I actually managed to scrape a much unexpected win! So while I’m on the subject, again I’d like to take the opportunity to thank all the guys who took part, voted, and any others for their kind comments.
Since entering the competition, and receiving all of the positive feedback, I have been extremely motivated to continue with some cheap scenery/terrain type builds, and so I have decided to share a few today.
First up are some cheap barricades I’ve built. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube on how to do this barbed wire effect, so nothing to fancy here. The frame is simply cut down, painted toothpicks/cocktail sticks, while the barbed wire is telephone wire which has had the sheathing stripped off. Two lengths of wire were then tightly twisted together, and then wrapped around a pencil to give the coil effect.
Secondly, we have my fencing. These are simply toothpicks mounted on cardboard, with a mesh, cut and stuck on! The cardboard I used for the base was from one of the wives old catalogue books, which is very rigid, and quite reasonable for basing. It was then covered in some newspaper for some texture, and then simply dry brushed.
As for the mesh, it is the small type of mesh you find on gift baskets and such, which again I nicked off the wife, and simply stuck on and painted.
Last up are my Skips/Dumpsters. These are entirely made from normal cardboard, which then had wall filler applied to the edges to hide to corrugated bits on the ends of the card. The rubbish inside is just a mix of odd off cut bits of rubbish I accumulated on my work table, which were simply glued in, dry brushed, and touched up for some details.
Anyway hope you like my cheap bits and pieces, and I hope to be building more odds and ends to fill my zombie city with as and when I get the inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment